Is there any need to upgrade the traditional education system?
Should learning in educational institutions be outcome-based?
At present, the Outcome Based Education or the OBE System is being widely used by leading institutions across the world. Many of the educators have developed a curiosity to understand the reason behind the ongoing learning transformation. Well, the reason is simple! OBE education system has proven to be a success in helping institutions measure their learning outcomes and at the same time enabling students to develop new skills that prepare them to stand out with their global counterparts. These factors can contribute to raising the education standard and aid institutions to acquire accreditation from esteemed bodies such as NBA by improving continuously in the long run.
On the contrary, when we speak of the traditional education system, it is highly dependent on theoretical aspects of learning. It hardly provides any chance for students to develop new skills which might be useful for building their careers. In a traditional system, teachers are more focused on completing the curriculum with the given time frame rather than innovating!
Let us discuss in detail how OBE differs from the traditional education system and understand what it has to offer to the institutions…
OBE System VS Traditional Education System
Outlining & Designing the Curriculum
The basic aim of the traditional education system is to pass on the knowledge of the previous generation to the upcoming generation of students. Remodeling & restructuring the norms is nowhere the prime goal in the traditional environment. Even the most experienced staff members are concerned only about teaching the curriculum and don’t have the enthusiasm to stretch their lessons beyond the classroom. They just want students to learn & mug up things being taught.
To be honest, the curriculum plays a pivotal role in providing deeper insights regarding different subjects to the students. The more practicality is included, the more students will develop essential skills that’ll guarantee a career worth pursuing. OBE system provides expanded opportunities for the kids by following a student-centered learning approach. It has a clear goal to impact their lives positively committing to excellence. The curriculum is designed in such a way that the output to be achieved by the end of the session is decided in the first place. Teachers need to give inputs that may include various innovative activities that would succor students to reach the desired target. Teachers need to decide what skills are required to master a particular subject, and then, they design the curriculum keeping the same in mind.
Unlike the traditional grading system, the OBE education system doesn’t provide grades to students ranking from best to worst. For instance, in the traditional model, if students scoring a high range of scores are given an ‘A’ grade and students with low grades or poor performances are given ‘C’, then there’s no clarity of thoughts. These grades don’t give exact numbers and even if numbers are given, then there's no emphasis on whether the students have learned new skills. Grading is solely based on their bookish knowledge. Under OBE, the scenario is different. It directly depicts what the students have learned. To quote an example, it says that a particular student, let’s consider the name is Jenny – “Jenny knows Pythagoras theorem” or “Jenny has answered 90% of the questions related to Pythagoras theorem correctly” instead of “Jenny has scored more than a few students of the same batch” or “Jenny has answered the majority of the questions correctly.”
In OBE, another approach that measures results in terms of different “levels” can also be applied. For example, teachers can decide various levels based on the units of the curriculum. Level-1 indicates algebraic concepts. Level -2 indicates – skills-related concepts, and so on. Students clearing assessments or tests of a particular unit may be assigned a “level”. It will help teachers to identify their academic weaknesses as well as strengths with ease.
Scalability of Final Outcomes
The traditional model of education doesn’t permit institutions to identify which factors played the role of catalyst in helping them improve. Teachers may guess that due to the implementation of certain aspects such as conducting guest lecturers has helped them improved a lot. For example, if the institution has 100 students that have passed the exam in the current year, and last year the number was 70 then, they may compare the results, and conclude that the ratio of students passing the exams has increased may be due to conducting guest lectures. However, with OBE, every student’s progress can be tracked based on their performance and differential growth at various stages or levels. Teachers can even be sure of factors that have helped them improve based on the final outcome sheet.
In a nutshell, Outcome Based Education possesses the power to transform the learning experience of students and must be embraced by educational institutions for enhancing their knowledge & skills. It doesn’t encourage students to acquire better grades than other students and be the “Topper”. Instead, it encourages them to gain knowledge and develop a better thought process that would help them earn bread and butter and be successful in the long-term.
OBE software can help teachers design curriculum and keep a tab on student’s growth at every stage. Therefore, institutions willing to implement outcome based education must get in touch with an experienced & reliable Outcome Based Education Software vendor.
For more details or a FREE demo of OBE software, contact us today!
- How Time Table Management System Helps Schools
- Choice Based Credit System for Student Preferred Courses
- Education ERP - The Future and Importance of Edtech by 2020
- Outcome Based Education System vs. Traditional Education System
- ICT for Higher Education - Smart Move towards Online Teaching and Learning
- Automated College Management System Creating Success Stories of Educational Institutions
- Benefits of Investing in Education Technology for Automation of Institutes
- 6 Reasons Institutions Should Move on Cloud Technology
- Analytics Dashboard System Helping Teachers To Monitor Student Progress
- How education ERP is helping top-notch institutions to generate higher ROI
- Why Online Teaching and Learning Module is a Must for Every School
- Why Student Experience Plays an Essential Role in any Institution Growth
- Role Of Management Information System (MIS) In Education Sector
- How To Implement Choice Based Credit System?
- What Is NBA And Why It Matters?
- How Beneficial Is Automated Attendance Management System For Schools?
- Top Reasons Your Library Needs A Library Management System
- Why Do You Need A Powerful File Tracking System For Your Organization?
- Benefits Of Implementing School Management Software
- Why Cloud Education ERP Is Better Than On Premises ERP?
- Online Admission System Or E-Admission For Educational Institutions
- Why Schools And Colleges Need Automated Student Attendance Management System?
- Importance Of NAAC Accreditation For Colleges And Best ERP To Improve Grades
- Cloud Education ERP Implementation: Challenges & Solutions
- How Can Colleges Be Prepared For NAAC Peer Team Visit?