Library management system software
A library management system is ERP software that is designed & developed to manage all the in-house functions of a library. A librarian requires maintaining a database of new books and the books that are borrowed by users along with their due dates. The best way to maintain, organize, and handle countless books systematically is to implement a library management system software.
This system completely automates all your library’s activities. You can find books in an instant, issue/reissue books quickly, and manage all the data efficiently and orderly using this system. The purpose of a library management system is to provide instant and accurate data regarding any type of book, thereby saving a lot of time and effort.
RF LIB-Man - Integrated Library Management Software
LIB-MAN® is a highly integrated, user-friendly, and compatible library automation system for complete computerization of all the in-house operations of any size or type of library. The library management software is intuitive, efficient, and compliant. Lib-Man is embedded with multilingual fonts, Barcode & QR Code fonts. The integrated library software developed in consultation with prolific senior library professionals is currently being used by as many as 500 libraries. The client-server version of Lib-Man is embedded with free Devanagari Fonts. It supports all the latest technologies which include cloud hosting, mobile app, tablets, SMS, email, UHF RFID, secured payment gateway, etc.
Lib-Man has an optional UHF RFID integration for the absolute library automation. It also supports the smartphone or mobile app for book search – MOPAC.
Library Management Software Modules
The following list depicts the modules of MasterSoft’s library management system.
The acquisition & cataloguing module of the library management system enables the librarian to select & buy books, journals, and other resources and create a database of the same for easy book search.
The serial control module of the library software enables the librarians to handle or control processes such as subscription, renewals of books or their cancellations and generate accurate MIS reports.
The circulation module enables the librarian to create and manage borrower types along with keeping a tab on their book issue date, return date, dues, and fines. It enables a smooth circulation of books in the library.
Management information systems or MIS reports related to the library allow the librarians to extract crucial data & information of all the library transactions at a few clicks. Accurate MIS reports fostering better decision-making.
Online Public Access Catalogue or OPAC is a digital catalogue that enables the users to search for books, journals, or any other material by entering keywords such as the name of the book, its title, author’s name, etc.
Mobile - Online Public Access Catalogue or M-OPAC is a mobile-based smartphone app that enables users to search for any book via their smartphones by entering keywords such as author’s name, title, etc.
Key Features of Library Management Software
RF LIB-Man library automation software for schools, colleges, universities, and globally located independent libraries comprises of the following key features-
- Can be integrated with the school management system
- 100% assurance for import of other library software data into LIB-Man
- Mark standard data import/export
- Book data fetching from ISBN site and Google API saves data entry time
- Follows all library latest standards such as Marc 21, Library Congress Standards, AACR2
- Fully secured & maintenance-free library software
- Best onsite training & service support for all types of libraries
- Fully documented user manual
- Fine and Dues Calculation
- Best inventory management software
- Backup and recovery provision
- Reports/Data export to word, excel, PDF, text
- No duplication of work
- No restrictions & no hidden costs on
- No upper limits on the number of documents/journals and entries
- MIS reports on laser/inkjet printers
- User-defined privileges & supports e-book uploading & reading
- Web based Search with OPAC
- Mobile App for book search M-OPAC
Advantages of Library Management System
The following are the major advantages of MasterSoft’s library management system.
- The library software is user-friendly, intuitive, and easy-to-use
- It offers 24*7 access to the library resources
- Provides functionalities like acquisition, cataloguing, serial control, etc
- Highly secure and efficient library database management
- Provides greater efficiency of work processes & saves time of librarian
- Cost-effective software for library and can be configured as per requirements
RF LIB-MAN© RFID Based Library Management System
With consistent research of 3 years on understanding & analyzing the need of library automation in an educational institution, MasterSoft created an integrated UHF (ultra-high frequency) RFID technology with LIB-Man's cloud based version. The features of library management software RF-LIB-Man have proven to be fuel for the successful digitization of all types of libraries.
RFID Technology in Library
RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) is the latest technology used in library management systems for wireless identification of people, books, or assets. RFID technology in library is a combination of radio-frequency based technology and microchip technology. RFID Tag is made up of an integrated antenna and memory. In the library, the RFID tag is attached to each book, and the accession number of the book is stored in the tag memory. RFID Reader reads this accession number and sends it to library management system software.
- Tag: Made up of antenna and an electronic circuit, enables writing & rewriting information. The unique ID of the tag is known as EPC (Electronic Product Code).
- Reader: RFID reader emits radio waves; the tag responds by sending back data stored.
- Computer: It reads/writes data from/to tag through the RFID reader using RF LIB-Man library automation software.
Advantage Of RFID Tags
- No line-of-sight needed like barcode
- Allows the circulation of several books simultaneously
- Performs both identification and anti-theft in one single operation
- Faster scanning and identification of book details
- Automation of data collection minimizes human errors
- Enables librarians to maintain a 100% accurate inventory of tagged books
- Data is encrypted and completely secured
- RFID tags can be reused and are highly durable
UHF-RFID Based Library Management System
UHF: Ultra High-Frequency Technology is the most advanced technology with a very high read range of 1-3 meters in contrast with the former HF and LF technologies where read range is merely a few centimeters. UHF is a low cost, multi-read, highly accurate technology with minimum misread. Therefore, most of the educational institutions prefer UHF-RFID technology.
RFID Library Workflow
The following in-house library activities can be performed with the RFID based Library Automation System.
Tagging of Books
RFID Tag is pasted into the inner side of a front cover page of the book & a full-page sticker is attached to it for hiding it from the patron. Also, tagging is done using RFID Reader. Tagging implies writing RFID tag EPC code to library management system software and writing accession numbers to tag memory. This makes the book ready for all RFID operations. To use this service patrons get UHF-RFID ID cards.
Self check KIOSK
The integrated library automation software offers the facility of self-automated issue-return (Check-in/out) of books to patrons.
Self Issue of Books
- Patron shows his/her RFID card to the reader in Kiosk for automatic login
- After that, he/she puts books to be issued on RFID Reader to avail it
- Books are issued to the patron & RFID tag status becomes ‘Quit’
- The patron can take away the books through the security system at the library exit gate without any theft alarm
Self Return of Books
For Self-return of books: Patron just needs to keep the books on - Reader of Kiosk & the books are returned cancelling the patron loan.
During the book issue or return process, a receipt is printed and SMS is sent to Patron.
The Shelf Management System consists of Mobile RFID Reader integrated with library software. This facilitates almost instant searching of the desired book in library & library book verification (Stock verification) can be done without a line-of-sight. The long read range of 3 meters makes stock verification & book searching an easy task.
For Stock Verification: You need to press the scan button of the reader & move it across the shelves. The reader gathers all the unique accession numbers of books in the physical range of 1 meter. The collected accession numbers are transferred to the RF LIB-man library automation software & a stock verification report is generated. It verifies 1, 00,000 books per day.
For Searching a Book: You need to enter an accession number to search in reader & sweep across shelves for searching. When a book is near-by the reader, a built-in beeper sounds to alert the librarians.
Anti Theft Detection
The RFID Anti Theft Portals (security system) are placed at the exit gate of the library & portal tracks books up to 3 meters range and would trigger the alarm with red flashlights when a patron passes through a gate with an unissued book. It can detect multiple items at a time. This is the most accurate security system for libraries with minimum chances of false alarm.
Book Drop Box/Station
A patron can return books any time 24*7 in RFID enabled Book Drop Station which is normally kept outside the library. Patron's loan is immediately canceled and SMS is sent to him/her. A book return slip is printed and a beep sound comes out of it and a green light glow depicting a successful book return.
FAQs On Library Management Software
A library management system (LMS) enables the librarians to track the status of books along with subscriptions & a complete user database. Right from managing the acquisition, cataloguing to serial control, issued/borrowed books, returned books & due date calculation, it helps in managing the daily work process in the library.
An integrated library management system (LMS) is ERP software that helps in simplifying the daily operations of the library. The purpose of a library management system is to manage & track the daily work of the library such as issuing books, return books, due calculations, etc.
You can choose the right Library Management Software (LMS) by following the given steps:
- Understanding library’s needs
- Setting goals with respect to the requirements
- Prioritizing the important features & functionalities
- Researching about the available LMS in market
- Evaluating & analyzing various library management software
- Speaking to trustworthy ERP vendor for LMS
- Arranging a demo of the library software
- Making final decision & implementing the library solution