OPAC - Online Public Access Catalogue
Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) or simply a Library Catalogue is a digital database of materials such as text files, e-books, journals, etc held by a library or group of libraries. Patrons can use the online library cataloguing software to find out any item under control of a library. It displays the query search results in an easy-to-understand format to enable patrons to find digital material quickly.
An Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) is an online reserve of library collections that is made available for public use. In the initial stages, OPAC was developed as standalone online catalogs, from VT100 terminals to a mainframe library catalog.
The globally located library authorities or librarians have the provision to update the catalogue which usually requires a small amount of time.
Information about documents can be searched using powerful search engine according to:
- Accession Number
- Author, Co-Author, Editor
- Subject, Publisher
- Class Number, ISBN Number
- Publication Place
- Publication Year
- Word in a Title Search
- Belonging Search
- Keyword Searching
- Combinational Search
- Translated Books
- Type of Document
- Dissertation/Thesis Search
- Claim & Reservation to Books
How Does OPAC System Work?
Library OPAC system requires login credentials & password to access the digital catalogue of materials. To search a book via OPAC: Online Public Access Catalogue, library patrons or students of college/university need to enter their credentials digitally via the web.
Once they log in the online library system , a wide range of digital content is made available to help them make choices. Students can search their desired file by entering various fields such as – Title, Author, Subject, Keyword searching, etc. The search results offer them direct electronic access to the searched material or give out their physical location in the library.a wide range of digital content is made available to help them make choices. Students can search their desired file by ente
Features Of Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC System)
1 Searching Capabilities
Be it simple or advanced search, OPAC has it all. Whether it is a boolean search, phrase search, or truncation, OPAC enhances the search capabilities. Browsing search by author, title, subject, and type of publication is also provided.
2 User Assistance
On their search interfaces, they provide the user with on-screen assistance. Instructional help is always provided. The catalogs not only list the items the library has, but also indicate whether they are currently checked out or available right away.
The search limit is a crucial component of a successful and meaningful search. By specifying the publication year and its kind, the OPAC makes this information available. The ability to sort papers by author, title, and structure is another feature.
4 Bibliographic Display
The OPAC system includes options to limit the number of records per display and to modify the display screen. They also include a structured library entry format that allows for the display of catalog card forms.
5 Search Strategy
With the help of this function, it is possible to create a search statement that will efficiently find more relevant information in a shorter length of time. The user can employ a variety of strategy tools available in the OPAC.
6Easy To Use
OPAC is an interactive and user-friendly information system. You can access it at any time and from any location thanks to its connection to a document-searching circulation system. It provides rapid access points for searching material by author, title, etc.
Access Millions Of Books At One Click With OPAC!Request Demo
Benefits Of Online Public Access Catalogue
- The web based cataloguing software is highly interactive, easy-to-navigate, and simple-to-understand or user-friendly in nature.
- The library OPAC system provides easy & remote access to a vast number of library materials across world-wide libraries.
- Patrons get the option to perform an in-depth search for required files.
- The library material can be updated from time-to-time and speedily.
- The library patrons’ time gets saved as they don’t need to move from one place to another in order to find books.
- The library management system can be accessed regardless of whether the library is open or not.
FAQs on Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
A Library Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) is an online library management platform that enables users to search for a vast kind of content including books, journals, and e-books online!
As a library patron or student, all you need to do is access the library OPAC link via the web with the help of your registered user name and password.
The following list depicts the important features of the OPAC library.
- Online book search
- Access to book search history for better search results
- Browsing bookshelves online
- Book search via keywords – author’s name, title, volume, etc
- Quick & accurate search results with a few clicks
- The library OPAC acts as a vast bibliographic database of content including books, journals, etc
- It makes the book search simple and fast by offering an online search feature via keywords
- Million of books can be searched at the click of a button
The following are the main types of library catalogue-
- Card catalogue
- Classified catalogue
- Author catalogue
- Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)