To maximize skill-based education & enhance student learning outcomes in terms of their grades as well as skills, the National Education Policy (NEP 2020) has made some crucial changes in the traditional teaching-learning system in India. The right to choose subjects & multidisciplinary education approach are the best takeaways. The government has decided to introduce a unique concept of Academic Bank of Credit (ABC) coupled with CBCS to facilitate the best education journey to the career-oriented students of the 21st century.
What is CBCS?
Popularly known as CBCS, full form- ‘Choice Based Credit System’, provides a convenient at the same time effective teaching-learning platform wherein the student or knowledge seeker has the flexibility to choose their course from a list of elective, core, and soft skill courses.
In simple words, I’d define it as a student-centric approach to learning or acquiring higher education. The conventional system of Higher Education didn’t give much scope to students. The course and learning content were predefined, redundant, and not up-to-date. For students to apply their knowledge base later in their work environment, business, or life; the conventional isolated courses lacked contemporary appropriateness.
What is Choice Based Credit System’s Differentiator?
Choice Based Credit System not only opens pathways for learning opportunities but also manifests learning goals and objectives. The CBCS grading system follows a credit system that is attached to the course components offered to students. A credit system for higher education measures various parameters like-
- Student performance
- Learning outcomes
- Entrepreneurship skills
- Contact hours
- Creativity & talent
The CBCS system is an initiative of the University Grants Commission (UGC); which enhances and promotes the educational liberalization of existing conventional higher education models.
Top Advantages of the Choice Based Credit System (CBCS)
- The student has an option to choose inter/multidisciplinary courses
- Based on the IQ level of an individual student; a mentor guides students to select courses
- It promotes group work, research, and community involvement
- It gives prospects to the learner to earn certification through a walk-in/walk-out approach
- Provides students with greater flexibility in the choice of courses
- Students can choose courses at a basic or advanced level
- Learners acquire job-oriented skills
- Student progress at their own tempo
- Highly motivated students get the chance to gain extra credits
The CBCS system not only bridges the gap between professional and social exposure but provides holistic education.
Key Features of the CBCS System
- Credits can be transferred if the student changes his/her branch of study
- CBCS is a step towards moving away from numerical marking to grading
- Grading minimizes the stigma of "fail"
- The credit based grading system is considered desirable because it facilitates student mobility across institutions within the country and across the globe
- Potential employers can assess the students performance, judicially
The Meaning of Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) in Brief
- CHOICE BASED - Choice of multiple courses
- GRADING - Marks secured is in letter grade format
- SEMESTER - Learner-teacher engagement quotient can be measured/ identified semester-wise
- CREDIT - Class hours per week carries additional importance in credit system
- ASSESSMENT - In the form of class room attendance, Mid Term Tests etc; is continuous and wide-ranging.
UGC has introduced a 10-point CBCS grading system as follows:
|A (Very Good)||8|
|B (Above Average)||6|
Credits are calculated keeping in mind the following components:
- Lecture (L)
- Tutorial (T)
- Practical (P)
The course may have all components of evaluation or a combination of any two; listed above. Although the CBCS system is tried and tested, it sometimes lacks an accurate estimation of marks. Teachers are further challenged to keep pace with many courses. This system furthers confusion among students; as each student has a different timetable and course of study. Nonetheless, the CBCS system is flexible and student-centric, this approach matches today’s demands of the student/learner community.
This CBCS system works in compliance with other grading systems of institutes, globally.
Implement the Most Trustworthy CBCS System by MasterSoft
MasterSoft has designed CBCS software, which manages the CBCS system for educational campuses. The educational ERP software eases the manual task of administration and faculty. The educational ERP helps in data collection, student participation, course creation, etc.
Functionality & Features of Our Solution for CBCS System are Highlighted Below
- A sleek and minimalistic dashboard which displays the university user login, a brief about the institute, news, and notices
- The University can have multiple users. The user can view his/her profile as well as change password
- Three main dropdown options namely; Administration, Academics, and Examination which facilitate easy management of the entire CBCS System
- The student has the mobility to register, apply, keep track of courses selected and examination schedule through our Solution
- Faculty has the flexibility to manage student data, create courses and schemes, offer courses, allot curriculum and assign/ transfer teachers
- Through this solution, the teacher can prepare teaching plans, mark attendance and prepare assignments for students
- Not only does this software facilitate defining the rules for CBCS system but also filters students for courses
- University can define requisites and allot mentors to students (mentors help the student in the selection of courses based on their IQ level and scope of the study) through our solution
- Lastly, reports can be generated for each of the services that are listed above
- Solution for CBCS system is holistic, easy-to-use and provides comprehensive management
The implementation of the CBCS system can prove beneficial for Institutes. The student-centric approach of education creates interest and applicability in the scope of the study. Our solution enables easy management of Choice Based Credit System in Educational Campuses.
MasterSoft offers customized ERP solutions keeping in mind the growing need to automate credit courses of higher education. The campus management ERP software systems are specially designed and developed to simplify the administrative work of an institution. We believe that solutions that are provided to our educational campuses’ clients should be integrated with the best ERP features; we provide better adaptability by minimizing manual work; thus promoting structured output data for maintaining records, plus retrieve statistics. ERP integration helps in generating a countless number of 100% accurate & insightful reports, be it for school, faculty, administration, or student.
Explore the prime advantages that the CBCS system has to offer to the faculty & teaching staff here - Choice Based Credit System in Higher Education | Advantages of CBCS System for Faculty
- NEP 2020 & College Autonomy: Complete Guide
- ICT For Higher Education - Smart Move Towards Online Teaching And Learning
- Online Examination Software For Post-Exam Analysis, Better Learning Outcomes & Decision Making
- The Best School Management System To Enhance Students Learning Experience
- Complete Guide To Learning Outcome Based Curriculum Framework (LOCF) - Part 1
- How To Manage Exam Schemes, Rules & Result Processing Online
- How To Manage College Applications, Merit List Generation & Online Admissions
- Complete Guide To The National Board Of Accreditation (NBA Accreditation)
- The Ultimate Checklist To Safeguard Your University’s Data
- Top 3 Reasons Why Higher Education Institutions Should Focus On Achieving Autonomy
- The Beginner’s Guide To Outcome Based Education Process (Part 2)
- Tips to Gear up Your Children To Return Back to School after Lockdown
- National Education Policy: All You Need to Know about NEP 2020 for Schools – Part 1
- Why Educators Need to Put Maslow Before Bloom
- Five Things You Should Know About Remote Learning as an Educator
- What is e-learning?
- Top Advantages of Online Assessment Tools
- What Is The NBA And Why Does It Matter?
- How Can Colleges Be Prepared for NAAC Peer Team Visit?
- ICT for Higher Education - Smart Move towards Online Teaching and Learning
- How to implement Choice Based Credit System?
- Why Online Fee Collection Software is a Must for Educational Institutions