07, April 2022
Teachers are an integral part of the education system as they are a guiding force in the students’ lives. They are responsible for not just imparting knowledge of core subjects but also inculcating values in their lives, preparing them for further education and contributing to their future.
But to facilitate a productive classroom session, teachers or instructors need to have knowledge of relevant methodologies and pedagogies. Moreover, they need to keep themselves updated with the changing global education trends; simultaneously, they have the immense responsibility of gauging individual students’ key strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps the most challenging task is to sync the curriculum with the learning outcomes and measure their academic performance.
Therefore, whenever any institute appoints a teacher, they need to identify their educational qualification, capability and skills in handling students. So, when an individual aspires to join the teaching profession, there are specific guidelines that they need to follow. For instance, the kind of curriculum or the procedures that they need to take into account. This is where NCTE comes into play.
What is NCTE?
NCTE full form stands for Nation Council for Teacher Education and is a central body that manages the development of the education of teachers. It also plays a significant role in the designing of the curriculum and evaluation of the education system of particular teachers. Apart from that, it builds and establishes standard norms for the development of the infrastructure and the minimum qualification essential for an individual to become an educator in schools and colleges.
The council is one of the provisional bodies of the Indian government and under the 1993 act, it started to focus on the procedures, standards and processes of teacher’s education in India. The secretariat of the National Council for Teacher Education council is located in the National Council for Educational Research and Training and also the headquarters of this is located in New Delhi.
NCTE is affiliated with the Department of Higher Education in the Ministry of Higher Education. Additionally, it has regional offices in Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Jaipur and Bangalore.
Objectives OF NCTE
- The council ensures that there is a developed and uniform coordination of education of the teachers throughout the country.
- It helps to regulate specific plans and easily maintain the norms and significant standards in the teacher’s education.
- The council facilitates the elaborate training of aspiring teaching professionals for pre-primary, primary, secondary and senior-secondary school stages.
- It also looks into teaching part-time education, adult education, non-formal and also for students who want to pursue education courses via distance education medium.
- One of the key objectives is to identify possible collaboration and synergy between teacher educators and CRC/BRC staff to maintain the support of teachers.
- Determine the steps and procedures that would help to build the teacher’s capacity and strengthen them further. The ultimate aim is to improve and develop the transaction of the classroom.
- It provides emphasis on improving the education system with the aim of encouraging teachers to pay attention to students’ needs. Moreover, the goal is to implement strategies that help gauge individual students’ problem areas and assist them in accomplishing learning goals.
What Is AICTE: Role Of All India Council For Technical Education (AICTE)
Functions of NCTE
- The council manages and conducts surveys and studies that explore various aspects of teacher education and also publishes their results.
- The council makes recommendations to the Central and State Government, Universities, University Grants Commission and recognised institutions regarding the preparation of suitable plans and programmes in the field of teacher education.
- Just like AICTE, which deals with all prospects of technical education, the council monitors and coordinates teacher education and its development in the country.
- It provides necessary guidelines in regards to minimum qualifications for a person to be qualified and employed as a teacher in institutions.
- It provides norms of any specified category of courses or training in teacher education, including the minimum eligibility criteria for admission thereof, the method of selection of candidates, duration of the course, course contents and mode of the curriculum.
- It also gives guidelines for compliance by recognised institutions, for starting new courses or training, and for providing physical and instructional facilities, staffing patterns and staff qualification
- The National Council for Teacher Education council also lays down established standards regarding teacher education qualifications, criteria for admission to such examinations and schemes of courses or training.
- It provides guidelines in regards to tuition fees, and other fees chargeable by recognised institutions.
- It encourages and conducts innovation and research in various areas of teacher education and publishes its results thereafter.
- The council examines and reviews periodically the implementation of the norms, guidelines and standards laid down by the Council, and suitably advises the recognised institution.
- The council takes all necessary actions and steps to prevent the commercialisation of teacher education.
- It also facilitates a suitable performance appraisal system, norms, and mechanism to enforce accountability on recognised institutions.
What Is The Institute Of Eminence? How Is IOE Different From Other Institutes Or Universities?
NCTE Recognized Programmer Are:
- DPSE ( Diploma in Pre-school education) makes the educator eligible to teach the students who are in preschool.
- D.El.Ed ( Diploma in Elementary education) and B.EL.ED ( Bachelor in Elementary education) make eligible the educator to teach students who are in elementary school.
- B.Ed ( Bachelor in Education Degree) and M.Ed ( Masters in Education Degree) make eligible the educator to teach intermediate students.
- D.P.Ed ( Diploma in Physical education) makes the educator eligible to teach physical education to elementary students.
- B.P.Ed ( Bachelor in Physical education Degree) makes eligible the educator to teach physical education to intermediate students.
Organizational set-up of NCTE
- The head of the council.
- The committee focuses on the execution of the norms and the standard guidelines,( The Executive Committee).
- The committee implements the norms in the four regions or can say on the ground level,( The Regional Committee).
- This committee gives or sends the required things to the council if some norms are not working in their way,( The Appeal Committee).
- Here, is the committee that inspects if the norms and the guidelines are implemented in the right way or not also if there is any problem faced by the teacher in the training or programme along with if there is any requirement of the things in the programme,( The Inspection Committee).
- At last, the committee that visits all the training or programmes of teacher education if everything is going fine or not,( The Visiting Committee)
Connect with our experts to get detailed information about the NCTE Scheme.