What Is RFID - Radio Frequency Identification?
Attendance management is one of the most crucial tasks in an educational institution- school, college, or university. Daily student attendance allows teachers to keep a tab on students’ activities. It also enables parents to understand whether their children are attentive towards studies & attend their class regularly. However, managing the daily attendance of thousands of students is quite a challenging task for teachers. Traditional means of registering daily students’ attendance may result in errors & tremendous manual work. An RFID based attendance system can be a great solution to overcome such challenges as it automates the students’ attendance process & enables teachers and parents to track & monitor students’ activities effortlessly. Besides student attendance management, the RFID attendance system can also be used to track the attendance of faculty or staff to simplify the payroll management procedure.
What Is RFID Based Attendance System?
MasterSoft’s RFID based attendance system is an advanced attendance management system that has an RFID reader, RFID Tag, LCD display & a microcontroller unit that allows the wireless communications to establish the identity of students, faculty, or any other staff.
RFID attendance system provides wireless identification of stakeholders when they fall in the radiofrequency range of the RFID attendance reader. To mark the attendance automatically, the students or staff need to carry the RFID tag that contains unique information about them such as name/ID number/class/section. The receiver/reader of the RFID attendance system automatically registers the attendance & saves the attendance data in the ERP system. The administrator can anytime extract the data to get a summary of student attendance history & keep a tab on them as well as faculty attendance for salary & payroll management.
The RFID-based attendance system is made up of three components: Tags (RFID ID Cards), Readers, and the host computer system.
Tag(RFID ID Cards)
The tag of the RFID-based attendance system is made up of an integrated antenna & memory. The information can be written and rewritten on tag memory. This tag is enclosed in a rectangular plastic card of the size of a bank debit/credit card.
The reader of the RFID based attendance system is a device that is used to read RFID tag data. The RFID reader has an antenna that emits radio waves; the tag responds by sending back data stored in it to the reader.
The host computer reads/writes data from/to the tags through the reader. It stores and evaluates obtained students’ attendance data via the RFID attendance tag and links the transceiver to applications.
Features & Benefits of RFID Attendance System over Barcodes
- No line of slight is required to read an RFID card/tag. So no need for oriented reading like barcode
- Unlike the barcodes, multiple RFID cards can be read at a time
- No human error like bar code reading while reading a card. RFID can be read in any orientation
- Very limited data can be stored in the barcode, whereas RFID attendance system allows more data storage
Features & Benefits of RFID Attendance System
- Minimizes paperwork of marking students’ attendance
- Notifies about absent students automatically by sending alerts
- Send notifications to parents about students’ chronic absenteeism
- MIS students’ attendance reports can be generated seamlessly
- Automatic MIS report generation without any errors
- Saves efforts & resources to manage student attendance and records
- Get notified when students enter restricted areas of the campus
- Eliminates complete paperwork & boosts work efficiency
- Ensures real-time & accurate daily attendance
- No roll calls required, automatic RFID based attendance
- More time is dedicated to learning in the classroom
- Notifications about entry & exit in the classroom
- Monitoring children activities in the real-time
- Daily/Monthly/Yearly attendance report calculation
- SMS/Email alerts on absenteeism are automatically sent to parents
- AI-powered dashboards & MIS reports for analyzing daily attendance